20 February 2011

How to plan a tea party

20 February 2011
Even though the day of love has come and gone, celebrating is from over. This past weekend I hosted a Valentine's day tea party for all the staffers on Yearbook. Like most situations in my life this came about because someone else mentioned the idea. For example, when I made my first dry ice bomb it was only because someone else mentioned I should buy dry ice for my 18th birthday. So, when a couple of girls in my yearbook class said they have never been to a tea party I thought, "I've thrown tea parties before why not have a Valentine's day themed one." Thoughts became words, words became actions, and actions turned into one of the best parties I've hosted. Throwing a tea party is really simple and fun at the same time. Each time I host a tea party I follow I couple easy steps to ensure the party turns out lovely. This is the first in my "How to" series.
Always hand make the invitations. Every time I have a party I make sure each invite is different. Also, everytime I make my invites I seem to forget to leave all the proper information on the paper. So don't forget address, date, when, and where. Without fail I forget something each time.

Find special  items to serve or showcase at the party

Always, I mean always, go shopping after a big holiday. For instance, if you were to host a Easter tea party set the date for the party after the actual holiday. That way you will save big on decorations and supplies. I got these adorable heart napkins for only 50 cent.

Add small touches when decorating the party room. Believe it or not when adding hidden pieces I've found at least one of the guests will notice and remember.

At each of my parities I love hanging pieces from the ceiling. I actually do this when I decorate my house for holidays as well. Using different ribbons and lengths is important.

Make sure the table flows. It's key when you have an entire staff of more than 20 yearbookers coming over. Flow is esstinal for any party.

I love flowers as a certain piece. It's fresh and beautiful at the same time. Luckily, easy flowers like daisies are cheap. I found these for only five dollars and they just happen to be my favorite flower.

When having a tea party don't forget the tea cups. It's as simple as that. Also, having many different types of cups makes it more fun.

Planning a menu can be tough. I've learned to trust turkey sandwiches, fruit, and veggies. No one can go wrong with universal taste buds likes. Also, if for some odd reason if a guest doesn't like tea I serve a sherbet and 7up punch and that's my biggest crowd pleaser.

Cupcakes are important; in life in general but also in tea party menus. Cakes are for birthdays, pies are for picnics, and cupcakes are for tea parties. This year one of the female staffers brought pink colored cupcakes for the valentines themes. They were really cute and yummy.

At each of my tea parties I have one requirement, must wear dresses. It's so fun to see how excited the girls get to pick out their cutest dresses and show out their love for skirts at the party. The fashion is truly the best part of the party.

Have back up activities planned. This is not a sign of a  Jr. high party when there's games, it's a sign the hostess thought ahead.  This year my friends and I came up with many funny questions about each others love life. Such as, "Who was your worst kiss," or "Who do you think is the cutest boy in yearbook," Every girl got a different question and whoever had the best story won a box of candy. Everyone loved this game and the best part was it was themed. Whatever the party you're throwing make the games themed. Also having the Wii handy works as well.
Ladies, boys are not the emeny at tea parties. It's actually an opportunity to have them dress up as well. For this party, I set the first part of the party just for the girls then the second part for both. I'm sure a group of boys would not pass up a opportunity for free food.
Continue to have music playing in the background no matter what stage the party is at. In my past tea parties I rely on Matt Nathanson, Jose Gonzales, and Joseph Arthur to set the mood. However, for my love party I did my research and found a lot of songs that helped keep the love in the air.
"Everybody" by Ingrid Michaelson
"Hey Na Na" by Katie Herzig
"The Girl" by City and Colour
"U+ Me=" by Dan Black
and tons of Sara Bareilles
All the staffers seemed to have a lot of and it was great playing hostess for the night. My last bit of advice when throwing a party is to write all the guests thank you notes. Don't miss this; writing thank you notes is so important. It's not a big gesture, it costs nothing, and it's feels good to write and receive them. Also all classy women write thank you notes.

I vote this being the best valentines day/ tea party ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10