03 April 2011

Love endures

03 April 2011
In my March Madness post I wrote about how my mom was getting married within the upcoming weeks. With that, the wedding has come and gone and I must say it went flawlessly. My mom looked beautiful and the whole night was proof how great true love is. One of my goals for the wedding was to give a toast at the reception. Moments before, I went up to speak I became so nervous; however, it didn't matter because it was a breeze. I hoped my speech captured how I felt about Steve and my mom's relationship and I believe it did when my mom said to me at the end of the night that I made her wedding day perfect. Here is a copy of my toast and I hope that one day I find what my mom waited for.


 
For the past 18 years my mom had given me so many important life lessons. From how to drive stick shift to how to handle all my adolescent problems my mom has been my guide through it all. With every situation she has been the strongest and most admired women in my life. For that, I am truly grateful for all her advice and words of wisdom being a light in my path. However, there was something that she once told me that I can’t quiet agree with. My mom always said true love is easy. Yes, that statement could be true but when I look at my mom and her new husband easy doesn’t come to mind. I witness their love story and think after years and years of finally getting to this day easy is not the adjective to begin to describe it. What I feel my mom tried to say is that true love endures. Love endures miles, minutes, and many lost opportunities. Steve and Jo are the perfect example of love enduring all. For their two hearts to endure all the hard to somehow by God’s plan to come to this day. Jo and Steve’s love endured 38 years, 730 miles from here to Id, and a health scare and now it’s just easy for with each other they proven their love can and will endure all for the rest of their lives. It is an honor to not only hear of their love but to be a part of it. I am so blessed to have Steve in our family and it’s a privilege to call him my dad. Here’s a toast to my mom and Steve for tonight is the beginning of always. For tonight is mere formality, only an announcement to the world of feelings long held. For a belief in each other and a decision to ignore or simply rise above the pain of past. The covenant that once ties two souls, the celebration of the chance taken and the challenge that lies ahead. For two will always be better than one and for love that endures all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10